What is PSHE?
PSHE stands for Personal, Social, Health, and Economic education. It is a comprehensive and holistic approach to education that focuses on the personal development and well-being of students. PSHE covers a wide range of topics and skills, including:
- Personal Development: this helps students develop a strong sense of self, self-esteem, and self-awareness. It often includes topics like self-image, self-confidence, and personal goal-setting.
- Social Development: this helps students understand and navigate the social world. This includes teaching them about relationships, communication and conflict resolution.
- Health Education: this covers both physical and mental health, including topics like nutrition, exercise, sexual health, drugs and alcohol education, and mental health awareness.
- Economic Education: This is focused on teaching students about financial literacy, budgeting, savings, and economic awareness. It helps prepare them for managing their finances in the real world.
PSHE at Paignton Academy
At Paignton Academy PSHE is taught as a one-hour lesson in both KS3 and KS4. The PSHE curriculum is taught under 4 main themes:
- Living in the wider world
- Health and wellbeing
The intention of our PSHE curriculum is to provide our students with knowledge, skills, and the understanding that are essential for their personal development, well-being, and success in life.
The intention of the PSHE curriculum is also to support students’ holistic development, empower them with essential life skills, and prepare them to become confident, responsible, and well-rounded individuals in society.