Below is the plan for how GCSE grades will be awarded this summer. We have listened to all communication from the Education Secretary and his department in relation to Teacher Assessed gradings and have formulated a process which we at Paignton feel is fair and will meet the expectations needed of such an important process.
Just to recap, these are the key points made by the Government reference GCSEs:
1. ‘The final deadline for submission of grades by the school will be the 18th June 2021’. This means that all assessments will be completed by the end of May to allow staff to moderate and check grading very thoroughly. It is our plan that Year 11 will not return to school after the May Half Term unless needed, to complete work to support grading evidence.
2. Results Day – GCSE results will be released on the 12th August.
HOW GRADES WILL BE AWARDED
The Government have said that ‘teachers will consider the standard at which each student has performed over the course of study. The judgements are objective and based on the evidence produced by a student on the content they have been taught’. The evidence is likely to come from:
• Student work produced in response to assessment materials provided by the exam board both in the past and new material yet to be released by the exam boards.
• Non-exam assessment (NEA) work. It is up to each school to decide what assessments will contribute to the grades awarded.
Our results this year will be compared to our results in previous years to check that the judgements are not unduly harsh or lenient. Exam boards will also sample work from centres and check internal QA processes.
TIMELINE FOR STUDENTS AT PAIGNTON ACADEMY
Monday 8th March – Thursday 1st April
1. We will be teaching and preparing students for the assessments in their final half term.
2. Revision classes will be organised commencing – week beginning the 15th March to support students.
3. No Formal assessments will take place during this month
Monday 19th April – Wednesday 28th April
PPE exams will take place for all GCSE subjects in the Sports Hall. For all assessment opportunities, all students will be given their full access arrangements. Please click on the links below for the timetable for the relevant site.
Waterleat Road Centre
Borough Road Centre
Thursday 29th April – Friday 21st May
Further teaching will be completed to support the students before their final assessment opportunity which will be in the final week of Half Term, starting on 24th May. We will be sending a predicted outcomes report home on Friday 14th
Monday 24th May – Friday 28th May
Final assessment window. Students will have the opportunity to take an exam in each subject during this final week. Students will not be expected in school this week but will be able to revise from home. These assessments will take
place in the classroom but will be invigilated by external staff.
Monday 7th June – Friday 11th June
Moderation week. This will be used for staff to moderate across faculty and sites and input Teacher Assessed grades, these will be viewed by the Senior Leadership Team.
Friday 18th June
Final Grades submitted.