Year 8’s Edge Cup Thriller!


On Tuesday 18th January, the Year 8 Football team progressed to the second round of the County Cup after an epic 4-3 win over a strong Devonport High School victory team.

The Paignton boys started really well and had it not been for some resolute goalkeeping by the DHS keeper, the team would have taken the lead in the early exchanges, with Harley Hooper, Logan Aston and Dylan Stickley all denied. 

Paignton continued to dominate but were unable to prevent DHS taking the lead with a quick-fire double to lead the game 2-0 mid way through the first half. 

Lesser teams would have succumbed under the pressure of falling behind but the away team continued to dig in and were duly rewarded for their efforts when Hooper capitalised on a slight lapse in concentration from the DHS defence to slot the ball into the home team net just before the half time whistle.

2-1 at the break.

The second half started in very similar vein to the first with the boys in blue dominating the early play, but this time in search for an equaliser. 

As the away team loaded the box at the award of a corner, the ball made its way out to Aston who was perfectly positioned on the edge of the 18 yard box and he drilled the ball hard and low into the bottom right hand corner of the DHS goal to level the game up at 2-2.

With the game now finely balanced, the Paignton defence had to stay strong under pressure as DHS looked to regain the lead, and it took some fine defending from Talha Gulogu, Kaiden Paine, Gio Livio and Riley Osman to keep the scores level. 

Despite the home team’s attempts, it was the dangerous PA counter attack that was continuing to look the more threatening, and it was one swift break in particular that presented the away team with an opportunity to take the lead for the first time in the contest. 

As the ball was swept forward by midfield maestro Jonah Shaw, it was Hooper who once again broke away from the DHS defence only to be fouled in the penalty box by a recovering defender and a spot kick to be awarded. 

Logan Aston was the player tasked with attempting to give the away team the lead for the first time in the tie, and he confidently stepped up to place the ball into the top righthand corner of the goal to make the score 3-2. 

The third PA goal sparked DHS back in to life and they started to exert more pressure on the solid PA backline. 

Debutant goalkeeper Ethan Crocker was proving hard to beat in the PA goal, as he made a couple of really smart stops to maintain the lead. 

The heroics of the PA number 1 were being well supported by centre back Elliot Osman who was reintroduced to add even more steel to the resolute Paignton defence, as the Borough and Waterleat Road contingents continued to resist the pushbacks from the home team.

DHS were proving to be a hard team to put away and were able to tie the game up once again at 3-3 after capitalising on an extremely rare mistake from the PA defence, to shoot just wide of the diving Crocker and into the bottom corner of goal.

Were we heading for extra time or would there be a final bit of a drama to sway the game in the direction of one of these fine teams?

With only two minutes remaining on the clock, it was PA who took charge of the cup tie once again, as Hooper found his way into the DHS box and fired the ball past the keeper to give his team a dramatic 4-3 lead with little to no time left in the match. 

The decisive goal seemed to reinvigorate the away team even further, and it was PA who were finishing the game stronger. 

There was still time for the Blues to almost end the contest in its tracks, as substitute Sonny Parsons saw his well struck effort flash into the side netting in the final seconds of the game after great work from the tireless Ethan Radcliffe. 

The final whistle blew quickly afterwards and it was PA who celebrated an excellent win from a highly enthralling cup tie as they successfully booked their place in round 2 of the Devon Cup

Well done to all boys involved.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This