Josh Organ, the Penalty King, Saves the Day as PCSA Win Cup Fixture

On Thursday 7th December 2017 the Year 10 Football team made the long trip up the A30 to entertain Holsworthy in the first round of this year’s County Cup.
With the dying light playing a huge factor, the game was restricted to 20 minutes per half in order to facilitate the possibility of extra time and penalties and the flow of the game certainly wasn’t helped by the state of the home team’s pitch.
The conditions were anything but ideal and this feeling was also reflected in the start of the game as the PCSA boys seemed to suffer ill effects of the long journey, conceding two early goals and finding themselves 2-0 down with less than 10 minutes on the clock.
Despite outplaying the home team for great patches of the first half, the PCSA boys struggled to break down the resolute Holsworthy defence and it looked like a cup shock could be on the cards, until Jamie Hooper capitalised on a rare defensive error by the home team to skilfully slot past the Holsworthy goalkeeper and reduce the arrears to 2-1 at the break.
Despite the 2-1 half time deficit, confidence remained high, with the boys in light blue out playing their opponents in every aspect of the game from the start of the second half and throughout. The boys knew a single goal would get them back on level terms and continued to put pressure on the Holsworthy defence in their hunt for an equaliser.
After some persistent knocking, the PCSA boys finally broke down the door of the home team’s resistance, as Dejay Bolton’s smart front post corner was hammered home on the volley by captain Charlie Ward to restore parity at 2-2. There was still a chance for a winner in normal time and the best chance of a winner fell at the feet of the ever reliable Hugo Griffiths, but not even he could test the Holsworthy keeper, as the game finished in a 2-2 stalemate.
After an incredibly short extra time period, where the home team came closest to a late winner, the game progressed to a dreaded penalty shootout, which seemed to favour Holsworthy… however it didn’t turn out that way!
After Hooper’s successful opening penalty, the stage was set up for goalkeeper Josh Organ to capture the headlines and he did just that by saving the first Holsworthy penalty to keep the score at 1-0.
Little magician Ryan McCaskill then doubled the PCSA advantage, before Organ saved again to maintain the 2-0 advantage. Charlie Tippett then stroked home another excellent penalty to make the score 3-0, before Holsworthy replied with their solitary strike to make it 3-1.
PCSA knew that a successful strike from Bolton would mean a penalty shootout victory, but the striker was unable to execute the knockout punch, and the score stayed at 3-1.
Organ’s third save from four penalties proved to be the defining moment, as the PCSA equivalent of David De Gea stretched to his right to keep out the fourth Holsworthy penalty and secure a 3-1 shootout victory for PCSA.

The recovery from a 2-0 deficit was a great demonstration of team spirit and character from the PCSA boys, and the team will now look to kick on even further in their pursuit cup silverware.
Mr Smith

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This