After ten years of weekly commitment (yes – 10 years) Year 9 students Charlie Wilkes and Marcus Coombes are celebrating! They have achieved their Stage 10 National Plan Award in Competitive Swimming. This is the highest level achievable within the scheme.
As part of this scheme the boys had to perform the following skills with consistent reliability:
- 1600m on a specific timed turn around.
- Continuous 1500m swim choosing one stroke.
- Continuous 100m Individual Medley kick without using a kick board.
- Continuous 200m Individual Medley using legal turns.
- 15m under water Butterfly kick on back or front in streamlined position.
- Front Crawl relay take over – as an incoming Swimmer.
- Front Crawl relay take over – as an outgoing Swimmer.
Through their determination, dedication and hard work they now have the following skills:
- Correct Breathing and Stroke Techniques in Butterfly, Front and Back Crawl, and Breaststroke.
- A Competitive Start Award.
- Stamina for Competitive Swimming.
- Diving Skills and Techniques
- Life Saving Skills and Awards.
This is what their Instructor/Examiner, Richard Ward, had to say about this brilliant achievement:
“Well done, a great performance!”
The Academy are very proud of them, well done! We look forward to hearing more of their successes in the future.