I’d like to take the opportunity to welcome you and your son or daughter to Paignton Community and Sports Academy, which is part of the Bay Education Trust. We are very pleased to be working alongside two local primary schools who are also part of the Trust: Kings Ash Academy and Curledge Street Academy. The Head Office of the Bay Education Trust is Paignton Community and Sports Academy. Each of the three Academies has representatives on the Board of Directors.
The Academy is the largest of all the secondary schools in Torbay and is based on two sites, Waterleat Road and Borough Road, giving it a feel of two smaller schools. Staff and Governors in the Academy are totally focused on providing the very best outcomes for young people and work constantly to achieve this. In addition to achieving the best possible academic outcomes, we are very clear that there is far more to a good education than academic achievement. Above all we want our young people to enjoy their time in the Academy, to feel happy, to be healthy, to feel safe and to enjoy their learning. As well as gaining the best qualifications they can, we want them to develop into well rounded young people who can confidently take their place in the world.
The Academy was inspected by OFSTED in November 2016. The Academy was graded as “Good” in all aspects of the inspection. Particularly pleasing are the quotes from the Inspection Report, which identifies our many strengths:
- “Good conduct is the hallmark of the school. Pupils are respectful to their teachers and so good relationships result.”
- “A culture of respect stems from the Principal through senior and middle leaders to all parts of the school. Leaders at all levels have high expectations of pupils’ academic achievement and social behaviour.”
- “Pupils know how well they are achieving because the new system for assessing pupils’ work is well understood and consistently applied by teachers.”
- “Teachers are enthusiastic. They recognise the Principal’s determination to raise achievement and this causes them to have high expectations of the pupils…”
- “Pupils are confident and articulate. They are able to explain what they are learning about in lessons very clearly, showing that they have a secure grasp of key concepts and ideas.”
Believe and Achieve
We want every young person to believe in themselves and achieve the best possible outcomes, hence our strap-line of “Believe and Achieve”.
Everything the Academy does is based on our seven values:
The Academy has completely changed its Post 16 provision which is now called “Aspire”.
We are running a range of courses for young people of all academic abilities which are available to our own students and students from other schools.
Many of the courses are delivered on the Academy site but some are delivered in a true work environment. More information is available on the 6th Form website, www.aspirefutures.org.
The Sports Academy
Sport is a real strength of this school. It offers our students many opportunities, to not only take part in a diverse range of sports, but develop their leadership skills.
Many students take up volunteering opportunities which take them to major national and international sporting events. Many work with primary schools developing both skills and maturity which will serve them well as they move into adult life.
The Academy is an exciting and vibrant place to learn and I look forward to meeting you at the many events we hold as we believe parents are crucial to the success of every young person and we enjoy working with you.
M. J. English, Principal